Texas State releases more details about MAGA hat arrests

The statement also offered additional details as to the offenses for which four students were arrested.

Texas State University's police chief released a statement confirming what Campus Reform previously reported about a recent incident on campus.

Texas State University Police Chief Laurie Clouse released a statement Thursday confirming what video obtained by Campus Reform appeared, in part, to show: a conservative student had his “Make America Great Again” hat knocked off, thrown to the ground, and then kicked after an attempt to hold a discussion with leftist protesters went south.

Four students were arrested on “various charges” as a result of that incident involving conservative student Tyler M., with whom Campus Reform spoke. 

”[N]one of our conservative people were ever instigating anything,” Tyler M. said, later adding that he chased after the woman who took his hat but only briefly latched onto her backpack. 

”I only held her [backpack] for a good five seconds...it was never her physically. As soon as I got out of the crowd, I let go of her bag and I came up beside her and I said, ‘can you please give me back my hat?’” Tyler M. said. Campus Reform spoke with Tyler M. at length about what happened before, during, and after the incident caught on camera. 

[RELATED: Four arrested after student’s MAGA hat is allegedly stolen (VIDEO)]

In an official statement released by Clouse Thursday,  the chief confirmed Tyler M.’s account. The statement also offered additional details, including the offenses for which the four students were arrested. According toKTBC-TV, the students who were arrested and their respective charges are 22-year-old Tyvonte Davis-Williams, 22-year-old Alejandra Navarrete, 20-year-old Nazarene Freeman, and 24-year-old Claudia Gasponi.

[RELATED: Student gov picks a fight with conservative group. Conservative group wins.]

”The incident that led to the arrests began when one student took a hat off another student’s head and fled,” Clouse said in the statement. “Police officers quickly interceded and directed the student to drop the stolen property. The student refused multiple directives and was then detained with the intention of being given a ticket for theft. The student was later arrested after providing a false identity to the police.” 

”Another student ran to the officers during this incident and began to interfere,” she continued. “After refusing to comply with the officers’ directions, this student was arrested for interference with public duties. When the students were escorted into the police department, other students followed and one additional student was arrested in the police department lobby for interference. A fourth student was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct outside the police department,” the chief’s statement reads.

Clouse also backed her police officers, saying, “when a theft occurred in plain view, they were right to act.”

”I understand it’s difficult to watch the arrests on social media, however, the officers were there to protect all of our students. We expect our students to obey the law,” Clouse added. 

The statement came after online criticism of how the university handled the situation. 

Follow the author of this article on Facebook: @JonStreetDC and Twitter: @JonStreet