The Weekly Roundup (1/4/16-1/8/16)
- The headlines we were tempted to run, and the commentary we couldn’t.
Monday 4 January
Apparently, failure to renounce one’s American citizenship makes one complicit in every action the government has ever taken. How else to explain the notion that only individuals of the appropriate hue can legitimately protest government violations of property rights?
The brokest state in the country is about to get a bit broker…
Tuesday 5 January
“Doctor shortages, be damned! If the greedy capitalist pigs are allowed to build a med school, they might (gasp) profit from it!”
Okay, that’s not a (quite) a direct quote, but one gets the distinct impression that this fellow can’t understand what all the concern over doctor shortages is about, anyway, since the government can always just mandate that there be more healthcare (and at lower prices, too!).
You can trust him—a Harvard Law civil liberties professor should know better than anyone that college is not an intellectual safe space.
But not for the reason you might think: this guy posits that students’ frustration at their inability to influence Trump’s behavior is causing students to focus on “one little thing” that will attract national attention.
Perhaps Alec Baldwin will have a place for her on his personal staff, since she’s already demonstrated a similar affinity for attacking photographers.
He also noted that he is “not concerned with refuting gun lobby arguments,” which is not just painfully obvious from his blanket accusation of racism, but also lamentably representative of the prevailing attitudes of academia.
Wednesday 6 January
Considering that the sporadically-coherent allegations of “gross and racist treatment” were made not by the VP himself, but by a concerned “friend,” we suspect the resignation has more to do with embarrassment than sour grapes.
Americans once again reaffirmed their preference to both have and eat their cake, deeming college diversity offices “a waste of money” while simultaneously calling for students to be punished for “offensive speech.” What do they think those diversity officers do all day, anyway?
We must admit we were truly on the fence about the wording of that headline. On the one hand, 95 percent of the faculty don’t explicitly support Prof. Click, which is encouraging. On the other, 5 percent do support retaining—in the role of a communications instructor, no less—an individual who was caught on video calling for “muscle” to help remove a photographer from a public demonstration on a public university campus.
No, Columbia, it isn’t enough just to say you won’t punish offensive speech. You actually have to stop punishing offensive speech.
Will someone please explain to ol' Barry the difference between a town hall and a pep rally?
Thursday 7 January
At least he’s willing to practice what he preaches when it comes to racial epithets…
Is it a coincidence that the “school’s” initials spell out their attitude towards state law? We think not.
You put your ‘privilege’ in, you take self-loathing out … and that’s pretty much what it’s all about.
Friday 8 January
Even as we applaud the effort, though, we can’t shake the sneaking suspicion that the new law would do much to deter the sort of people who casually disregard the Constitution when it conflicts with their emotional reactions … er, “policy positions.”
Someone had to take the initiative in presenting the other side of the issue, what with Obama sitting there fielding “questions” such as whether his opponents are outright evil or just plain crazy.
When she fretfully equates officers having semiautomatic rifles in their trunks to the creation of a SWAT team, it becomes clear that ignorance is not necessarily bliss.
Trump probably isn’t even aware of the bill. This guy just thinks that the more public debate there is about illegal immigration, the less likely it is that people will want to reward that behavior.
Child predation is clearly a terrible thing. However, so is the precedent that a person can be denied a professional certification merely for holding an opinion.
And with that, nerdy, husky, and just plain lazy students in elementary and high schools across the nation were provided with perhaps the most effective antidote to gym teachers yet devised.
It makes perfect sense, if you don’t think about it: after all, letting white students in on the strategies for combatting their omnipresent racism would be like letting an opposing team film your practices.